Friday, March 19, 2010

The final countdown

There are a few things I didn’t anticipate about trying to write a blog, have a career, raise a family AND run a marathon. One was that I wouldn’t really have time to update the blog!

The other is that marathon training is TOUGH. Quite possibly even tougher than the marathon itself (although somehow I doubt that…). Training is going well, but crazy. I have run 63 km since Sunday, and am off to do another 27 tomorrow. I now have two pairs of running shoes (soon to start rotating through them), and am still working on improving my eating habits. I have a new protein power with amino acids designed to help recovery.

I also completed the Chilly Half Marathon a few weeks ago with a record-breaking time of 1:50:45. That’s faster than I ran the Scotia Half last fall, and that’s also without any speed work. I think the sheer amount of mileage I’m putting in right now is making a difference.

Around the Bay (30K) is next weekend, and I hope I’m ready. I haven’t run 30K yet… the most I’ve done to date is 25K, although the 27 is looming tomorrow. I’m strength training 3 x a week now as well, and I admit, that’s about it. I’ve even given up the outdoor Tread Powerfully classes right now, because I just don’t have the time to get to them. I’m sure I will pick it back up again soon, but I need to incorporate one rest day a week right now, as my muscles are fatigued and I really want to avoid injury.

I’ve started seeing a new chiropractor and a new massage therapist, as well as continuing to get professional advice on my shoes from the folks at the Burlington Orthotic Centre. And of course, Sue Abell, TP instructor and trainer extraordinaire, is always answering my endless questions!

Career-wise, everything is going great these days. I’m enjoying my new teaching gig – it’s tough and it’s challenging, but rewarding too. And the new website (www.primacy.ca) is up and running, and I am loving writing about things like health, fitness, nutrition, etc.

So for the moment, it’s time to put my head down and focus on my training. It’s tough fitting it all in, but I’m pretty determined I’m going to do this.

Eight weeks, two days and counting…

No comments: