Friday, November 20, 2009

Gearing up for the big one

It’s been three months since I wrote anything for this blog, and I’m hanging my head in shame. It’s not because I haven’t been running – it’s just that I took on a new job and life is going at a breakneck pace.

First, the good news. In September, I signed a contract with a medical company to become editor of their soon-to-be-launched health, nutrition and fitness website. Yeah, it’s pretty exciting! The content is amazing and it is exactly the type of writing I want to do. Articles on proper nutrition, working out, and all those other topics I really want to explore. It’s fun and exciting, and I can’t wait until the site launched! (A glitch with the technical team has delayed it, but it should be up by January.)

Then, there’s the even better news. I completed the Scotia Half Marathon in Toronto, beating my goal of 2 hours. I actually finished it in 1:56:51, shaving 14 minutes off my time from the Chilly Half Marathon. That’s crazy, right? How does one even do that?

I credit it to three things. One is that I finally lost those nagging 10 pounds. (Okay, truth be told, I’d really like to lose another 10 or so… but I could see this happening forever.) Being lighter really does make a difference when it comes to running.

The second is speed work. I did speed work training for the Chilly as well, but this time, I would go to the track and really focus on my speed intervals. (While training for the Chilly, I simply timed my intervals while running on the road.) Being on the track was a good gauge of distance and speed, and I think it helped me increase my cardio capacity and leg turnover speed.

Finally, I started doing more strength training/weights. I had previously been doing one Intense Strength class per week through Tread Powerfully (this is done inside, with 10lb. weights and is a very intense workout) and I ramped up to 2-3 Tread Powerfully classes per week (power walking with 3lb. weights.) The more muscle I put on, the stronger I got, which improved my speed. In September, I ramped it up even more with the Intense Strength class, a combined strength training/Pilates class, and an “Advanced Intense Strength” class that even has homework assignments every week! That class is truly a killer, and only for the fittest and/or most determined of all the Tread Powerfully members. (I like to believe that I’m both!)

So what’s next? I have actually signed up for a number of races, culminating in the Mississauga Marathon. Here’s what I’m working on:

-The Boxing Day 10 miler (16 km.) on Dec. 26 (which just happens to be my 35th birthday)
-The Chilly Half Marathon on March 7, 2010
-Around the Bay (30K) road race on March 28, 2010
-The Mississauga Marathon on May 16, 2010

I’m also keeping up with my strength training workouts. A lot of people ask me what my workout schedule looks like. I’m not sure they want to know! It’s a bit intensive, but so far, so good. My weight is holding steady, but I find my clothes are getting bigger and I’m looking a lot more muscular. But, for the curious, here’s a typical week for me:

* Sunday: Advanced Intense Strength, 7 a.m. (this combines weights with sports drills, plyometric exercises and even skipping… it changes every week and is incredibly intense.)
* Monday during the kids’ swimming lessons: I was spinning at the YMCA every Monday evening, but I kind of loathe the instructor. (As an instructor, not as a person.) Now I have changed to 3 miles of speedwork on the treadmill, aiming to have it finished in 25 minutes.
* Monday after swimming lessons: The week’s Advanced IS “homework” (which varies every 2 weeks) and a core strengthening routine. (Think planks, pushups, crunches, etc.)
* Tuesday morning: An “easy” run, ranging from 6 to 10K, depending on my training schedule. And yeah, I get up at 6 a.m. to do this before the kids go to school and I go to work.
* Tuesday evening: Intense Strength, 6:30 p.m.
* Wednesday: An interval routine consisting of skipping and body-weighted exercises, followed by the week’s Advanced IS “homework” and another core strengthening routine. I usually try to get up at 6 a.m. for this, but if I can’t, I do it in the evening when the kids have gone to bed.
* Thursday morning: Either speedwork at the track or a tempo run. The distance is slowly building before the 10 mile race. (Again, I get up at 6 a.m. to do this one…)
* Thursday evening: Power Pilates at 6:30 p.m., which is a half-hour of weights (I use 10lbs) followed by a half-hour of Pilates.
* Friday morning: The week’s long run. Today’s, for example, was 12K. That will keep increasing until the marathon. (I try to get up at 6, but thanks to a flexible schedule, I don’t always have to… today, for example, I wasn’t that busy with work so I did it after I dropped the kids off.)
* Saturday morning: Tread Powerfully “4.5 mph” class at 7 a.m. This is a very intense TP class for people who can consistently walk at least 4.5 miles per hour or faster. (And yes, I can!)

Ouch! I just realized that this means I work out TEN times a week. It might be a bit excessive, but honestly, I’ve never felt better.

Now if I could just get my nutrition under control! It’s not bad… but with winter coming, I’m craving sweets and bad carbs. I have a plan… now I just need to do it! More on that later.

Happy trails…

No comments: