Sunday, January 13, 2008

Cleanin’ out my closet

On Wednesday, I started my second 10K clinic. Unlike the first time I started the 10K clinic, this time, I know I can physically run 10 kilometers, which is great. Unfortunately, the clinic instructors – one of whom ran my 10K race with me – know I can run 10K!

Basically, they’ve given me (and two other women who are repeating the clinic) a much more aggressive training schedule. Instead of taking it easy with the rest of the class, we’re going to be logging more kilometers and doing more speed work and hills – at least once a week.

To be honest, I wouldn’t even want to go back to the old training schedule. It was great, but most of the first few weeks are taken up with 3K runs. I’m a little past that by now! So I’m off this morning for an 8K run, and by next week, it’s back to 10K on Sundays. (Or more, in a few weeks!)

The other thing we’ve been working on in my house is getting better control of nutrition. I’d say that when it comes to breakfast and lunch, we all eat very well. I’ve written about nutrition enough and read about nutrition enough to know what we should be eating. (Lots of veggies, lots of fruit, whole grains, lean proteins…)

And, during the week, I really try to make healthy dinners. It’s hit or miss some weeks, depending on how busy we are, but I have some great cookbooks I rely on and we try to have good meals.

Friday and Saturday are more of a challenge, because Mike and I tend to feed the kids early and cook special dinners for ourselves. Sometimes they’re great, but sometimes… sometimes it’s things like nachos. (Baked in the oven with cheese and beef, and eaten with guacamole, salsa and sour cream. Mmm!)

So last week, I decided we needed to “cleanse” our systems. Last spring, I did a cleanse recommended in a book. Basically, you cut out red meat, grains, processed sugar and dairy for five days. It’s meant to cleanse your body, improve your skin, and, yes, you should lose about five pounds.

I put both Mike and I on the cleanse last week, and it went fairly well. At the end of it, Mike lost five pounds! Me? I lost… zilch.

I was disappointed. I mean, who couldn’t stand to lose five pounds? (Okay, there are a few people, but most of us would probably like to lose five pounds. Some would like to lose 10, and some even more!) It’s hard not to get disappointed when you put in that kind of effort for no reward. (Which is why I like running… I feel like there is a reward, when you beat a time, or run a distance you’ve never run before.)

But I’m determined to stick with healthy eating. We’re not perfect, but I’m trying to make sure that we eat very well 80 percent of the time, and have treats in moderation. I’m even trying out baked goods from a new cookbook, and made brownies with spinach and carrots last night! I swear you couldn’t taste the veggies at all! (Andrew ate the brownie, naturally. And, just as naturally, Chris – my picky, picky eater – took one bite and said, “No thank you!”)

Time for an 8K run this morning. Here’s hoping this week’s training goes well.

Happy trails…

No comments: