Monday, November 26, 2007

Training day

All summer, I happily worked on building muscle mass and weight training at a fantastic class at my gym. Literally called “Muscle,” it was a 45-minute, instructor-led strength training workout using free weights. I felt myself getting noticeably stronger, and started to realize what an important part strength training plays in overall fitness.

But since September, when my life got turned upside down, I have had very little time for strength training. I could no longer attend muscle class at the gym (something I’ve mentioned in earlier blog posts), and then I went and quit that gym and joined the Y. I’ve been running five days a week with the 10K clinic. Combine that with 60-hour work weeks, the crazy volunteer work as president of the preschool, and there’s not a lot of time left.

The other problem is that I have no idea what I’m doing when it comes to weights. I loved the muscle class for that very reason. I could let the instructor think of the plan, and then just go to the class and be told what to do. No thinking on my part – a nice change! But since my schedule is such that I’ve been unable to go to a class, strength training has fallen by the wayside.

When I joined the Y, I was given the opportunity to get one free personal training session. And, time being what it is, I only got around to doing that today. Mike did his session the second we joined. (Okay, two days later, but you catch the drift). They gave him a really basic plan, including some cardio on the treadmill, and a weight-training circuit on the machines.

I really wasn’t interested in that. For one thing, I certainly don’t need to improve my cardio training. Since November 1st, I’ve already run 115 kilometers. Getting into “shape” really isn’t my problem.

I also don’t love doing weight machines. I know they tend to isolate the muscles, and I prefer using free weights and combining exercises so the body works in sync. That’s what muscle class used to do, and that’s what I want to do.

But once I realized I couldn’t make it to any strength training classes at the Y, I knew I had to do something. After all, wouldn’t doing a machine circuit be better than no strength training at all? I rationalized that it would, and ended up signing up for a session with a personal trainer.

My session was originally supposed to be last Monday, but since Andrew spent Sunday night throwing up, he wasn’t going to school – and I certainly couldn’t take him to the Y in that shape. I had to postpone the training session until today.

Mike is on holiday today, so once we dropped Andrew off at school, we took Chris and headed for the gym. I waited for the trainer while Mike got started on his own workout. The trainer sat down with me at first to discuss what I hoped to get out of meeting with her.

It was great. She is also a runner, and really knew exactly where we should be focusing. She agreed with me that a simple machine circuit wouldn’t be right for someone of my fitness level, particularly since my cardio strength is so strong. She gave me a great routine of planks, push-ups, lunges, squats, free weights, barbells and just a few machines. If I can get a full-body workout in once or twice a week, I should see improvement.

It will also help prevent injuries. By strengthening the muscles in my legs, it will help prevent knee injuries. And core strength training will not only make me run faster, it might help me lose the little pouch I carry in front after having the boys. (When your kids were born at 9lbs. 4 oz. and 8 lbs. 13 oz., your stomach gets a little stretched out!)

What I’m hoping is that by this summer, I’ll see a difference in both muscle tone and strength. It should improve my running times, making me faster and stronger. That may be a tall order, but it’s certainly worth a shot.

In the meantime, I’ll keep up with my 10K training schedule. Only a few more weeks to go until the race. Yesterday, I ran 11K with my group, and made it through the run. We’ll get up to 13K before this clinic is over.

Happy trails…

No comments: